It seems like I’ve been trying to write this post for weeks now what with computer and internet problems *sigh*
Yarn shop day (taking place on Saturday May 3rd) is all about you showing your love for local yarn shops. It is also an important opportunity for bricks and mortar shops – such as ourselves – to remind our customers how valuable our personal experience and knowledge of all things wonderful and wooly really is.
Whilst the online yarn market is fantastic for those that cannot manage to get into a shop or can’t find something particular it is also unfortunately taking away from the tradition of local yarn shops. There is nothing better than going into your local yarn shop and having a good squidge and play with the wool, as well as getting hands on help and advice. Knitters and crocheters alike are an enthusiastic bunch and our shop has often played host to a number of excited discussions about new projects and ideas between strangers that have bonded over their love of the craft.
Yarn shops are fast becoming an endangered species and every week I will have someone come in and say how nice it is to have found a wool shop because they no longer have a local one. A visit to the yarn shop was something I looked forward to as a child and even now I still get excited when I go to a new place and discover they have a yarn shop to explore.
So in the spirit of all things woolly we are planning the following events, giveaways and special offers to celebrate Yarn Shop Day.
- The first 15 customers to spend €25 or more receive a baby knits goody bag.
- 11am – There will be a demonstration on how to use the amazing Clover Pom-Pom Makers.
- 2-4pm – We are holding a competition to see who can knit a “Knit Happens” stocking the fastest.
- There will be a woolly raffle with prizes including Knit Pro needles, Scrumptious Yarn and a variety of books. (Details of the raffle will be posted here and on Facebook in the coming days.)
- A free Sparklemouse pattern will be sent to your via e-mail when you spend €5 or more.
- Clearance packs of yarn and books will be available to buy throughout the day on our market stall outside at less than even Stash Dash Prices.
Throughout the week we will try (I stress the word try) to pop up photos of some of the items that will be putting on the market stall and using as raffle prizes.